Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,698
Like?
larger SSDs, drive caddy for 2nd hard drive
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 26, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

Bouldergramp wrote:

You might consider a SSD replacement drive.

I would really like to do that but my laptop only has one drive bay and the current ssds are either too small for my use or too expensive for my budget.

Yea... larger SSDs are not cheap.  But, Micron just introduced a new 1TB (or rather 960GB) model that has a *very* low cost/GB compared to competing SSD models.   Click on the "Show all compatible Solid State Drives" link from this page and you'll see the Crucial branded drive model (960GB Crucial M500).

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/XPS/XPS+15+%28L521X%29-upgrades.html

As for only having support for one drive, you can probably find a caddy that lets you replace your optical drive with another hard drive (as most modern laptops just use a standard SATA connection to their optical drive, so designing a hard drive caddy to replace the optical drive is not very hard).

There are lots of "generic" drive caddies like that on the market now, too. But, you want to get one that others have found to fit OK in a given laptop model (as you'll usually need to remove some screws associated with the optical drive mounting bracket so that it can be removed, and replace it with a caddy that has the right screw hole alignment, etc, with a faceplate that matches up to the size of the optical drive bay on it).  Most are 12.7mm. But, again, I'd do some digging through forums to find out what others have found worked OK with your specific laptop model.  Here's an example, a generic 2nd drive caddy that's designed to replace a SATA optical drive:

12.7mm Second Drive Caddy

Note... I have never used that vendor (I just found the listing for one with a quick search on Ebay).  So, do your own research before buying.

Then, just buy a portable DVD drive for when you need to use one for installing software, burning DVDs, etc.)    The portable DVD drives are very inexpensive anymore (around $30 from vendors like newegg.com).  Here's an example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135256

IOW, get a drive caddy to replace your optical drive so you can install a hard drive in it's place.  Then, use an affordable SSD for the OS and Programs (e.g., a 128GB or 256GB drive), while using a physical hard drive for your data; going with an external optical drive.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow