First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Antony John
Contributing MemberPosts: 989Gear list
Like?
Re: First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?
In reply to Bajerunner, Apr 26, 2013

Some further interesting comments from others.

I'll throw in my tuppence worth for 2 lenses:

Zeiss 35mm F2 - it's manual focus but has great rendition (one of my favourites) and is suitable for landscape and group photos . If you're serious about photography then you need to learn how to manually focus anyway because auto focus doesn't always get you optimum results. Added to this is that many (myself included) have found that using MF really makes you think more about your composition and framing. It's a good way to learn.

Nikon 85mm F1.8 AF-S - I've read it's a good lens and it should suite you for portraits (for now anyway you might want to go longer in future).

Ultimately you should try and plan your whole lens requirements up front, pick a few of interest for the moment and then fill in with the others as you go along. Other than wasting money, getting rid of equipment as you go along can be a pain (for some) and rather get it (mostly - one always makes mistakes) right from the outset. Quality glass you're happy with will stay with you longer than your camera.

HTH

-- hide signature --

AJ
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

Antony John's gear list:Antony John's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow