Which of these do you like best?

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,100Gear list
Like?
John...
In reply to jrdu, Apr 26, 2013

jrdu wrote:

I don't feel that you have ventured very far into abstract art if that is what you are afraid of.

The original photo taken outdoors was underexposed on the face, which I think is the wrong way to get your best photos, but you saved it expertly.

The ones of the strikingly beautiful girl in the bar, (what a yucky place to shoot her), are way overexposed in the face, and you haven't fixed them.

But all the treatments look very normal, or even pedestrian to me.  You haven't been the least bit edgy.

-- hide signature --

John Dunn

Hi John. Definitely wasn't trying to be edgy or abstract, just seeing what I could with a particular before it went 'over the edge'. Most people think that the more naturalistic image looks best though, of course, we're dealing with subjectivity.

I have to disagree with you when you say the first shot (in the original) was underexposed. In fact, a lot of people will tell you that such statements can't be made... it all depends on what you're exposing for. In this case, as a 'convenience shot', the subject was standing on a shaded bridge with a bright background behind her. Had I exposed for her face, the background would have been horribly blown out beyond recovery. There would have been areas of plain, detail-less white behind her that would have been quite distracting. So I made the conscious decision to expose for the background, knowing that I would have to bring up the shadows later. I know that this brings the risk of noise, but I was shooting at ISO100 ... also, in terms of perception, we tend to be more accepting of pure blacks in an image than pure whites (as that reflects our experience in the 'real world'). So the exposure was done purposefully and I think appropriately.

As for the friend in the bar... well, she just arrived in town and wanted to meet there, so I didn't have much of a choice. And we both like pubs ... I know you don't. Yes, the face (in treatment given) is over-exposed. But that's just in the processing (much like in high-key portraits you will sometimes see). Here's the original exposure....

Thanks, John... always good to see you about (even if we don't always agree!)

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
2New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow