Windows 8 freezing up

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,233Gear list
Like?
Re: Event Viewer events
In reply to Bob Collette, Apr 26, 2013

Bob Collette wrote:

If it turns out that the problem is an error reading from the hard drive, here's what I would suggest you do.  Before you're ready to shutdown for the night, do a Properties on the C: drive (I'm assuming it's the C: drive), select the Tools tab, and under the Error Checking section, click the "Check now" button.  Check both check boxes and press the "Start" button.  A message will tell you that the scan will start the next time you start Windows.  Restart the computer and Windows will run it's scan.  It's likely to take several hours, depending upon the size of your drive, which is why I suggested that you let it run overnight, as you won't be able to use the computer while it's scanning.  With any luck, the bad sector will either be repaired or marked as bad and the data moved to a "spare" sector.  In either case, it should prevent the error from appearing again (at least for that particular sector).  You might also want to check the SMART attributes and see if it detects a problem with the drive.  If it does, you should backup the drive immediately (you should be doing this on a regular basis anyway) and buy a replacement drive.

I want to say, and I could be wrong, that Windows 8 now allows you to run the disk Error Checking without needing a reboot.  If errors are found, it will then require a reboot to attempt the repairs.  This is different than the previous versions of Windows where a reboot was required in order to scan the OS hard drive.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow