Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,941Gear list
Like?
In my experience, AF-C is not as precise
In reply to Jostian, Apr 26, 2013

Jostian wrote:

Was wondering why one would use AF-S, when AF-C focuses continually, addressing slight variations in mvt that AF-S doesn't, so why use AF-S, just leave it on AF-C, I now there are other considerations like speed etc that would affect which AF to use, but speaking purely on focus, surely t here's nothing wrong with just leaving AF on AF-C? or am I missing something(s)?

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Hi Jostian,

- in my experience on a D7000, AF-C is just not quite as precise as AF-S.
Of course when I use the great 85mm f1.4G for portraits at short range, my DOF is at most a couple centimetres (one inch) so I have found I just have to use AF-C, because AF-S would be off even if the subject, say a child, moved front or back by those couple centimeters.
But for uses where the photographer and the subject are steady, say landscapes for one, or flowers, I have found that AF-C is just a tad more precise.

- also I remember reading here in the forums, that for those higher-end DLSRs where Nikon publish "Technical Guides" besides the more humble User's Guide, they do recommend to use AF-S not AF-C, for the most precise focus (don't have a ready reference for you on this one though)

How do I make sens of this?  Simple: the AF engine is very quick to get close to perfection but not quite, and then needs a tad longer to reach perfection.  Probably by using the AF-C mode we tell the camera to keep on adjusting, and due to not infinite processing power this comes at the expense of those final adjustments to reach "perfection", which happen only in the AF-S mode.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AllNew
ManyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow