Is the HS50EXR the right camera for me?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
MitchyK7
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
Re: Is the HS50EXR the right camera for me?
In reply to Lee37, Apr 26, 2013

Contrast to the above post, i've not had any battery door opening issues. As for the not liking the Q menu, that's personal opinion, it doesn't make it a bad camera. I've spent a month getting used to the new layout and the Q menu is actually very good, as you can switch out more options than with the 5 buttons they had before. Yes you have to go into a mini menu which is an extra step, but you can define one setting to the up d-pad button. Also once you made settings in different modes, PASM EXR etc, the camera remembers your settings for each mode separately, so you can set options for each mode, and then leave them for certain shooting situations.

The long zoom is a bit rough to start with, but it soon starts to smooth out. Plus the reach of the zoom is much better than the other cams. Write speeds to card is blazingly fast, as is autofocus speed, and startup time. All things that will make sure you get more of the shots you want, when they just pop up in front of you!

I upgraded from a HS20 which was a brilliant camera, but had focus problems in low light, the HS50 focuses instantly from both ends of the zoom in moderate to good light, and while slower at times in low light, it does focus better and quicker than my HS20 did in similar conditions.

So is the upgrade worth it, yes, providing you want faster write to card, longer zoom, faster autofocus with phase detect and contrast Focus, and quicker startup and shot to times. If those options you want, and have the money to afford, i'd say go for it. I did!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow