Canon is no. 1 for 10 straight years

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,408
Like?
Re: Based on their own survey?
In reply to Rick Knepper, Apr 26, 2013

Rick Knepper wrote:

I'm not here to criticize Canon because half my kit is made up of Canon products. But, Canon may be number one today for many reasons that have nothing to do with the best current product for the market or current innovation.

For example, remember that Canon undercut the 35mm lens market for years (with fairly decent lenses if you were into telephoto styles) building a large base on extremely competitively priced lenses.

We all know how resistant uneducated photgraphers are to making changes in their kit. Fear & ignorance are rampant among the herd (no matter the brand actually).

This may be reversed sooner than later if Canon continues the trend of higher lens prices (and higher prices generally) making Nikon look like the budget SLR company these days. Folks previously afraid to change because of uncertainty about selling their equipemnt or learning a new system may be more motivated to jump off if they can't afford to shoot Canon.

I don't know how innovative the SLR biz can be since it seems like a mature industry (other than in sensors where, in my opinion, no manufacturer has it right yet) but Canon persists in sticking with the smallish incremental update model & the use of previous or lateral tech in new releases while Nikon seems to go for broke in all markets. Any significant update Canon might release these days kicking and screaming seems to be a result of being drug by Nikon.

It is obvious that Canon listened to a very small and very wrong group of people in their customer surveys. Before they can ask/survey a person about digital imaging issues, that person ought to understand digital imaging issues.

There are footnotes in the article suggesting that this is a Canon survey. Since there could be bias built into such a survey, it would be nice to know the protocols used in conducting the survey and the pool from which the surveyees were pulled. It would also be instructive to know the percentages by year. For example, if the percentage difference between Canon and the next competitor was 10% in 2003 (the year of the first affordable DSLR - the D300/Digital Rebel) and the percentage is .1 in 2012, that tells a different story.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Of course you are right Rick in that it is wise to be wary of any data issued by the manufacturer.

In terms of business strategy Canon has stuck to a largely well considered and mapped out plan and since the camera business, particularly the DSLR business, is quite mature, incremental changes are part of that strategy.  In comparison Nikon do appear to be thrashing about slightly.  Who will come out on top remains to be seen.  Perhaps neither if mirrorless products really take off and Canon and Nikon don't get their respective acts together in that sector.

Anyway I also suspect that this survey was released largely just to have something to fill out their recent press event.  Most of those journalists attending would have seen all of the products shown previously and since there was nothing new in terms of new product ready to announce they had to talk about something.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SadNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow