Nikon's European warranty

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Questions thread
Stephan Def
Regular MemberPosts: 289Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon's European warranty
In reply to PepsiCan, Apr 26, 2013

IANAL

So what you need to understand is this: not only does it matter what the warranty says in your country of purchase, it also matters what the law says in that country. There is also a EU statutory warranty of 2 years but it depends if the country of purchase ratified it and what the law in your country of residence says.

So its  a tough question and it totally depends. In Europe different countrys have different laws, for example in Germany the law is that a 2 year "Gewaehrleistung" is mandatory, that means if your Camera has a factory defect you get it fixed or adequate replacement in that timeframe, regardless of that NIKON only gives one year.  However if it is not a factory defect than you get whatever your warranty says you get.

Watch out, sometimes you have to register the warranty within a few weeks for it to become active (Sony does this).

I just buy my stuff at amazon which has good prices and a good return policy (at least 30 days sometimes much longer), I always buy additionally a warranty extension of 3 years. You can even insure against theft and breakage, it just costs more.

Because Japan is producing a lot of lemons in electronics these days it is of utmost importance to have best possible warranty and insurance for your gear, a couple of hundred bucks saved on the purchase is nothing compared against an exorbitant repair bill.   ... just my opinion 

Stephan Def's gear list:Stephan Def's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow