Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,797Gear list
Like?
Re: Original point of subthread still good
In reply to rovingtim, Apr 26, 2013

rovingtim wrote:

John King wrote:

digital also creates an environment where far too many people have the attitude "I'll just fix it in post processing.". This goes equally for composition (using the wrong lens or framing); exposure; subject matter ("I'll just add in/subtract whatever I want/don't want later.").

I agree John. When a wedding photographer friend of mine went from Oly to Nikon, one of the first things he said was: 'Now I know how complete morons can get good images. The camera does everything for you. You really don't have to think.' Now, he was exaggerating ... slightly ... but his point is some cameras are so reliable in focus and exposure, all the photographer has left to do is decide whether he/she wants to intervene in Dof for artistic reason or not.

When he first said this, I wondered if this really was a good thing or not. I was using the E1 at the time and it was reliable in its behaviour, however, to get the best files out of it you had to intervene. Do do this, you had to know your photography. Miss your shot and you lost it. No recovering in PP. That goes for framing as well because you only had 5mp to work with.

My friend and I debated this and his point was that though he understood my point, as a professional, it was better to be able to recover than not, because everyone makes mistakes and you can't re-run the wedding because you missed a shot or two. My point was that few people miss shots they never see anyway. He rebutted that there are some crucial shots that must be in the album. Mine was you don't want cookie cutter albums. Back and forth.

Eventually, he pointed out that at the extreme, he would be able to get shots that my wee E1 could not. He was right. I still think a good photographer with a mediocre camera is better than an awesome camera with a mediocre photographer. But given equal talent, the better camera will get some shots that would be impossible for the lesser camera. We proved this theory shooting side by side with the two different makes.

And that, I believe, is one of the main reasons Oly lost the pro market. They were simply too weak on the sensor and AF, two key photographic areas. Nothing to do with 4/3rds, everything to do with implementation. Controversially, I also think the E3 body was a huge mistake ... but you knew that didn't you   I believe one or two people here might not think that is entirely correct. Of course, those left from the previously bustling 4/3rds forum are fans of the latest Oly camera bodies so it does not come as a complete surprise.

But a few people loving a camera body does not a market make. Remember how Richard Pavek and a few others were certain the E5 was going to revive Oly's flagging fortunes? Well, here we are.

Tim, your great faith and positive thoughts about everything Olympus is well known here, so I will not expand on it.

However, I have to ask the question: Why do you still use a system that you have promoted here so negatively, so regularly, for so many years?

I had a mate around today. He shoots a D700 and D7000, and goes way back with his Nikon gear, and has quite a lot of lenses etc for them, as well as for his bodies going back to the D1 or D2, IIRC. It is his opinion that if he were starting again, he wouldn't consider anything else but Olympus ... He has always been fairly impressed with my A2 prints from my E-1, E-510 and E-30; particularly the accuracy of the colours they all produce.

Neither of us is under any misapprehensions about the strengths and weaknesses of both our systems, which we regularly discuss, and have for many years. This we do very candidly; something that is all but impossible on this forum.

And yes: assuming a "perfect photographer" with a "perfect camera" (presumably, anything except an Olympus ... ), such a person is going to catch images that us mere mortals will not. So will Ansel Adams ... Sorry, but your analogy, and his, is so flawed, in so many ways, it really isn't worth discussing.

My gear works very well for me. Unlike those who eschew RAW in favour of JPEGs, I continue to benefit from the re-processing possibilities of ancient RAW files afforded by both CS5 and CS6.

Personally, I look forward with great interest to even having the very respectable OM-D sensor in an E-30 form factor body. Funny how some here have now been forced to compare this dinky little gem to such behemoths as the D800/E, D4, 5DIII, 1Dx in order to match it for some uses and ever so slightly exceed its capabilities at their best ... I still think that the D3x and D300 are the best cameras that Nikon has ever produced, when judged on all bases.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow