Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
EKB
EKB
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400
In reply to hval, Apr 26, 2013

hval wrote:

I have seen a few people write that the D400 has got to be bigger?  May I ask why? What advantages does a bigger camera give you? Heavier? Takes up more space in a bag? More noticeable by others (not good for street photography)?

I would actually like it to be the same size as a D300, or even slightly smaller than a D300.

Many people find a bigger camera to be more comfortable to hold and easier to shoot with. This is a trade-off against it being easier and more comfortable to carry. Of course, different people have different preferences for that trade-off; in your case being bigger than a D300 (or a D600) doesn't buy you anything. But a lot of us find the D7000 and D7100 to be an awkward size. We find something thats just a little bit bigger to be only a little more awkward to carry, but a lot nicer to hold and shoot with.

In my case, I found myself unexpectedly tempted by the D800 when I had a chance to try it. I intend to stick with DX, and the D800 is well out of my price range especially given the cost of upgrading my current lenses - but it felt really nice in my hands. The D7100, OTOH, was a good camera but it didn't awaken the little voice that whispers "You want this. You know you want this..."

In a way, I ought to hope that the D400 will merely be a "good camera." The smart choice for me would be to stick with my D90. But I can't help but wish for the D400 to be like the D800 in terms of waking up that whispering voice of temptation, only this time attached to a body that wouldn't be completely silly for me to get.

EKB's gear list:EKB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow