First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: my rubbish advice?
In reply to r0gue, Apr 26, 2013

r0gue wrote:

I'm new to DSLRs.  Some photography enthusiast friends gave me a lot of instruction and I found myself enticed to a full frame D800.  That was a loong contemplation and a LOAD of research and advice.  But that said, I find the lens decision a little more challenging.

(I think) I want a nice prime for faces, family, friends. Thinking of a 50 or 85.  Either in a 1.4 or 1.8.

And (I think) I want a nice ll around zoom lens.

I'd love to hear some advice from all of you.  I'll keep poking around to continue learning.  Thank for your help!

Hey, I shoot with a D300 (am a rank amateur) and a bunch of MF primes. Here is some crazy advice...

IF, I was just getting kit for a D800, I would consider this combination, which is a bit pricey but certainly not over the top and somewhat cheaper than one culd go for similar IQ and helluva fun:

1 ) Either the Zeiss 28mm 2.8 Distagon (unless one can afford the 28 f2 or 25mm) OR the Sigma 35mm 1.4 approx. 1,050

2) Voigtlander Nokton 58mm 1.4 = approx. 470

3) Samyang 85mm 1.4 = approx. 330

4) Nikon 80-200 2.8  = approx. 1,100

That is roughly 2,950 worth of lens goodness .. .    (only a bit more than one 70-200 VR II) .

I note those lenses, because in my humble opinion, one is looking at optical quality, build quality and RENDITION. I don't have those lenses, but at least two (if not three) could be on my radar in time...after I deal with some other things first.

But, its a matter of taste, what you want in a lens.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow