SURVEY - Do FT / mFT users know the difference from "full frame"? Replies wanted!!

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?
Re: SURVEY - Do FT / mFT users know the difference from "full frame"? Replies wanted!!
In reply to dinoSnake, Apr 26, 2013

I've been using the 24x36 mm format for ~40 years, all the time calling it "småbild" (small picture in Swedish) to distinguish from the higher quality medium and large format cameras. Mostly SLR, mostly Olympus but also Pentax. If Olympus had produced a digital body that took my OM lenses, I would have bought it without a second thought. That would have been the uninformed decision.

But as we know, Olympus never did, so I kept using my OM1 and OM2 cameras until last year. I looked at the new D800 and D600 and quickly realized that, for whatever reason, all FF and even APS-C DSLRs were huge compared to analog cameras! That is still a mystery to me. I thought about getting a Leica, then the Fuji X-Pro1, then the new Olympus E-M5. Lots of looking at pictures on the web, realizing that modern lenses were so good that they could confidently be used wide open, finally settling on the Olympus.

Some things I didn't realize:

- how good IBIS is

- how different an EVF is from an OVF (mostly better, but not always)

- how annoying AF can be

But the consequences of different sensor sizes certainly wasn't, and isn't, news to me. At some point in the 80s I vowed to not buy another camera until I could afford a Hasselblad. Well, I can now, but I don't want one. It won't fit in my pocket.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow