SURVEY - Do FT / mFT users know the difference from "full frame"? Replies wanted!!

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061Gear list
Like?
Re: SURVEY - Do FT / mFT users know the difference from "full frame"? Replies wanted!!
In reply to dinoSnake, Apr 26, 2013

dinoSnake wrote:

So, is this true?  Using FT / mFT users as a test, do you understand "the impact of sensor size on image quality"?  What was your knowledge of this topic at the time you made your purchase decision of the cameras you are now using?  How did your purchase decision go in regards to this?

Yes I was very aware of that when I changed from a Canon 40D with a lot of mostly APS-dedicated lenses to an OM-D E-M5. The background was that my 40D got drowned by accident (I was wet too) and after drying started to work again but somewhat unreliably. I wasn't interested in upgrading within  the Canon APS system and I didn't feel to buying another 40D either.

I was very sceptical to m4/3 mainly because of the size of the sensor but when the E-M5 appeared with the new 16 MP sensor it suddenly seemed as a reasonable compromise between IQ and portability. Studying IR and dpr I was convinced that the E-M5 was capable of higher IQ than any Canon APS and it was not far behind 5DII which was my main alternative.

I'm mostly satisfied with my E-M5. It has capability to better IQ than my former camera. Sometimes I miss shallow DOF but I didn't have much of that on my 40D either. Problem is solved with a 45/1,8. The 40D was much better at catching moving objects and had an overall much more reliable and exact AF system, but that has nothing to do with sensor size per se, but with the absence of a mirror and pdaf. That's currently a serious disadvantage of m43.

So what I dislike with the m43 system is not the sensor size as such, though I'm full aware of "the impact of sensor size on image quality". It is the bad tracking capability and the lack of fast long tele lenses and affordable high quality standard zooms. If a new OMD whith pdaf shows up and also new lenses I'll keep to m43. Otherwise I'm not sure. Maybe as a travel system with only a few lenses.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow