First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,811Gear list
Like?
Re: Perturbed by the Rudeness and Hostility on these Forums
In reply to r0gue, Apr 26, 2013

r0gue wrote:

Thanks so much to all of you!  So, I believe that I will likely start with two primes:

NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G Pretty much everyone recommended this one.
NIKKOR 85mm F/1.8G or maybe the 1.4

I've got both the above lenses, purchased recently and only used so far on my D800e.  (Which is also a recent purchase).

The 85F1.8g is quite the nice lens - seems better wide open than the 50f1.4, in terms of CA.  But I've not yet shot it much.    I dd take the 50 out on a couple of shoots where I simply wanted to have some of the best resolution I could get.   I'm not sure if it really shows up my 24-70, but it was kind of fun to shoot.  I've not carried a 'nifty-fifty' for quite a while as it's not a particularly fun focal range to me.

What I think is a better two prime lens set is one that has more spread in focal range.  The classic pair is a 35 and an 85.   If you're more of a wide angle kind of shooter, then a 24 and a 50.    50 and 85 are just too close.

The problem is that Nikon hasn't giving us some affordable, high-IQ 24's and 35's.    The 1.4's are just too expensive.  The 24F2.8AF-D is a pretty mediocre lens.  The 35F1.8 is DX.   The new 28F1.8g seems like a decent possibility, except I keep reading comments about the weird field curvature it has.

I've got a Sigma 35F1.4 on order now.   Read so many good things about it, and saw such good results wide open that I can't really pass it up.   And I'm not a Sigma fan - my only other Sigma is an incredibly poor 400F5.6 that disappointed me for years until I just boxed it back up and shelved in the garage somewhere.     Should be very interesting to see how I get along with the new 35.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow