Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,016Gear list
Like?
SZ-30MR in the Rain
Apr 26, 2013

Don't get alarmed, it did survive - more of that later.

It was the usual story. I was running low on pipe tobacco, and the nearest place that stocks it with any regularity is in Auckland City. The weather was wet, but I took the camera anyway. On the way in I found a sheltered place on the ferry for a couple of shots -

They seem to have tarted up this vehicular ferry since I saw it ten years ago.

But on the way home the rain was rather persistent. This is a still taken during a movie clip -

The rain drops on the lens are out of focus.

At the end of the movie you can hear the rain drops on the camera body -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWXy60Fll4k&feature=share&list=UU6JgzL7oZKNOptY6lPt1Quw

As I said, the camera did survive, but this morning it needed a bit of drying out with brief wafts out of an industrial heat gun. Careful! That heat gun can melt plastic when held steady.

The problem seems to be that the leaves protecting the lens can absorb moisture and swell, so they don't open properly.

I might have prevented those lens protecting leaves from sticking by taking the camera out of the pouch I carry it in. This had absorbed moisture more than the camera did, so the camera became damp again overnight in that bag.

Still, it is nice to know that even consumer grade cameras can overcome some of the chances that their owners take with them. 13 years ago the C-1400L came with a warning that it might cause injury if subjected to any kind of dampness.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow