1DX or 1DMk IV for birding?

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
arbitrage
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Re: 1DX or 1DMk IV for birding?
In reply to gnm72, Apr 26, 2013

I don't have a 1DX but I do have a 1D4 and a 5D3.  I also find that I really prefer shooting the 5D3 over the 1D4 because of the AF.  I've mostly been shooting birds using the 600II and the mark III converters.  I was really only using the 1D4 to get f/8 autofocus at 1200mm with the 2.0TCIII.  Now that the 5D3 firmware has leaked out onto the inter webs, I think the 1D4 will become the permanent backup to the 5D3.  I really don't find the 1.3 crop and extra pixels to make any significant difference even in reach-limited situations.

The 1DX is claimed to be even better than the 5D3 at driving the big white lenses with its large battery.  The one thing I do prefer about the 1D4 is the 1series build quality and integrated grip.

With that all said, I would go for the 1DX over the 1D4 for birding.  I am seriously considering trying to sell my 1D4, 7D and 5D2 to go towards a 1DX and 5D3 combo.

arbitrage's gear list:arbitrage's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow