Is mirrorless the worst of all worlds? and FF the best?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,721Gear list
Like?
Re: Is mirrorless the worst of all worlds? and FF the best?
In reply to zenpmd, Apr 26, 2013

zenpmd wrote:

Some random thoughts from today....

Sure, the primes are super light, but the total cost of the good primes for the OMD, for example are extortionate, and mad. And in fact, that model serves as good proof to my theory that its about GAS. If great photographers, loads in fact, can get away with just two lenses, a 35mm and an 85mm, then the total cost on something like a 6D is something like £2000. Thats great value. People are buying the OMD, a ridiculous suite of primes, including buying things like the 12mm prime. Whats the point?

interested to hear your thoughts to the contrary!

This cost argument makes no sense to me.  I read it all the time.  I bought my e-Pl2 with the two zoom lens kit for $575 in September 2011.  I have added the 14mm Panny, the 20mm Panny and the Oly 45.  For all that, I haven't spent $2000 let alone the 2000 pounds you bandy about for FF.  If you add in the Oly 60mm, as I have, you get a suite of four solid to excellent primes that take you from efl 28 to efl 120mm.  I have a six lens collection that takes me from 28 efl to 300 efl. Total cost about a shade over $2000.

And size?  I carry the camera, the 14, the 20 and the 45 in a Think Tank Chimp Cage.

As others have pointed out, your criteria are YOUR criteria.  I dont need FF, dont want FF.  I sold off my DX gear to go m4/3.  For me, m4/3 is the best of worlds and FF the worst.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow