Confirmed: No practical advantage to removing D7100 AA filter

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
David A. Hamments
Senior MemberPosts: 1,247Gear list
Like?
Re: Wishful
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Apr 26, 2013

Some guy at CES told you they just did it for no particular advantage?  That doesn't sound right.  The Nikon lens list for the D800e was not just hooey, they were trying to get people to use the right optics to take full advantage of the increased resolution.   DXO even measured the "e" at a perceived sharpness score 25% better than the D800 before all hell broke loose and they had to take it down.  Sounded about right to me.  Same deal with the D7100.  The 18-105Vr will show better with the D7100 than it ever did with the D7000 or the D5200, but top quality lenses put it in a different orbit altogether.  So DPR got that half right.

I know competitiveness when I see it, and it's written all over all the mid to upper Nikon product.  Sony, too, to the best of their ability.  Nikon just has the best engineers for now, and it shows they are in it to win.

I agree with Reilly... FWIW my kit 18-105 definitely appears sharper on my D7100 than it does on my D7000.  Images seem to "pop" a little more than before as well.
Cheers, D. Hamments
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhamments2013/

David A. Hamments's gear list:David A. Hamments's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
DataNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow