Fuji please make EV bias to work in manual control + auto-ISO setting

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,235Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji please make EV bias to work in manual control + auto-ISO setting
In reply to shonxiaohe, Apr 26, 2013

I agree, if you are going to implement auto ISO in manual you need to do this.

However, I think auto ISO in manual is a lame way to do it.  The only camera company to do this right is Pentax, which they have a shutter speed aperture priority mode.  You set the aperture and shutter speed and the camera picks the ISO.  They also have auto ISO setting that makes aperture priority or shutter speed priority be either those or aperture-ISO priority and shutter speed-ISO priority depending on if you have auto ISO on or off, but in manual mode, auto ISO is always turned off as is logical (it is manual).

The issue with auto ISO in manual is it is not manual mode any more, it is auto ISO mode, and so to go to a true manual mode is to turn off auto ISO.  I have been burned by this on my Nikon where it is difficult to turn off and on auto ISO (digging through menus).  The newer ones have auto ISO on the list of ISO settings I think.

Since most makers insist on doing this wrong (Samsung and Sony also implement auto ISO in "manual", they need to implement exposure compensation.  Otherwise it makes no sense.

I think for Fuji XP1 that doesn't use mode dials, auto ISO in manual mode is fine, since it doesn't have "manual" per say, but a shutter speed dial and aperture ring, just needs an ASA/ISO film speed dial and it would be perfect.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow