Is mirrorless the worst of all worlds? and FF the best?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,157
Like?
Re: A compelling case can be made for the opposite.
In reply to ultimitsu, Apr 26, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Also, "bokeh" is the quality of the background blur, not the quantity of blur.

This is correct, however I think it is still not wrong to say FF gives you better bokeh. Firstly, Bokeh still do look better if it more blurred, that is what yo get from FF. secondly, most lenses do not give best bokeh wide open, stopping down slightly (1/3 to 1/2 stop) produces smoother bokeh. With FF you have a lot more room to do this while still maintaining excellent blur (or isolation), with smaller formats, blur wasnt much to begin with and quickly disappears when stopping down.

Fair points, but bokeh is very dependent on the particular lens.

Next up, while their viewfinders may not be 100%, their LCDs are, and they more accurately display the look of the captured photo than the viewfinder.

This is not wrong but I think there is more to it. I good light there is very little difference between what you see through OVF to what the picture will look like. The difference starts to appear when you shoot in low light - your eyes adjust to the low light but the camera will take the image with high ISO, resulting in much stronger contrast between shadow and lit area. While in these situations EVF reports a more accurate image OVF still maintains the advantage of being clearer and fast.

Sure.

Furthermore, while mirrorless may require a bag, that bag will often be considerably smaller and lighter than a bag for an FF system.

That is true if we are talking about 1 lens and 1 body. but if you want match the same IQ, then for what you get with a D600 + 24-70 VC, you probably need 3 or 4 F1.4 primes with mirrorless, I would not think the bag is smaller.

Except the mirrorless user is probably not trying to match a D600 + 24-70 / 2.8 VC and, in fact, are probably very happy with what they get with an EM5 + 12-35 / 2.8.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow