Senior MemberPosts: 8,023Gear list
Like?
Re: Wishful
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 26, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Jared Huntr wrote:

Not that it is surprising, but it seems the cheerleading squad from the Cameralabs D7100 review mega-thread here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51316314

were wrong about how the lack of an AA filter makes a useful difference.

According to dpr:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d7100/18

"In short, even if you were willing to put the best glass available on the D7100 and shoot at a wide aperture, you're not likely, even with a lot of effort, to leverage visible benefits of the OLPF removal. While this may be a bit of a disappointment for some, the very good news is that to date we've seen no practical downside to the filter's removal for still photography. It is essentially neutral with regard to image quality."

Nikon agrees and it's why the filter was left out of the process.

No, I'm sorry, Nikon does not agree with that premise.

Yes they they do. They told me so.

They left the filter out because they wanted to blow every other manufacturer out of the water for detail and microcontrast, just as they did with the D800e, and that they have done without any doubt.

Wishful thinking. Nikon is a manufacturing company first, not a bunch of photographers passionate about photography.

Canon executives must be grinding their teeth to the gums in helpless envy by now
M

Some guy at CES told you they just did it for no particular advantage?  That doesn't sound right.  The Nikon lens list for the D800e was not just hooey, they were trying to get people to use the right optics to take full advantage of the increased resolution.   DXO even measured the "e" at a perceived sharpness score 25% better than the D800 before all hell broke loose and they had to take it down.  Sounded about right to me.  Same deal with the D7100.  The 18-105Vr will show better with the D7100 than it ever did with the D7000 or the D5200, but top quality lenses put it in a different orbit altogether.  So DPR got that half right.

I know competitiveness when I see it, and it's written all over all the mid to upper Nikon product.  Sony, too, to the best of their ability.  Nikon just has the best engineers for now, and it shows they are in it to win.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
DataNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow