OMD severe flash exposure problem

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,299Gear list
Like?
Re: Proof in pudding, er, images......
In reply to Alumna Gorp, Apr 26, 2013

Alumna Gorp wrote:

Guy are you using a calibrated screen and are you using custom camera profiles with your processing software, these things can make a difference.

Yes, I do use a calibrated IPS monitor but that or profiles make no difference to the fact that the in-camera histogram of the resulting jpeg shows the story of TTL under-exposure.

Sure I could use TTL at 0 flash compensation but then would find myself upping the exposure in post for all shots and thus raising possible noise issues and image degradation, better to get the correct TTL exposure in camera by using the flash compensation of from say plus 1.0 to plus 1.7 to suit personal taste, I settled on plus 1.3 as my "permanent" setting.

The "correct" ETTR histogram exposure with TTL mostly seems to need plus 1.7 with my Pens and flashes but the result looks too darn "flashed", may be perfect exposure but mostly has an uncomfortable "too bright" look to it, needs under-exposing a bit in post.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow