OMD severe flash exposure problem

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,797Gear list
Like?
Re: Proof in pudding, er, images......
In reply to Guy Parsons, Apr 26, 2013

Gidday Guy

Just downloaded your images and had a bit of a play in Bridge6/ACR. I am using a calibrated ASUS PA246Q monitor.

Increased the exposure on the first (underexposed) by 0.3 stop. It looks pretty good to me. Good saturation and colour detail, maybe a bit dark for some.

Decreased the exposure on the second (one using +1.3 stops exposure compensation) by 0.6 or 0.7 stop, and it still looked a bit 'bright' to me. In the original of this one, the colours look very bright on my screen, washed out, to be honest.

It appears to me that the "correct" exposure is somewhere between the two modified values, depending on personal preference. That is to say, somewhere between +0.3 and +0.7 stop compensation for that particular subject. Because the shots are at an angle to a fine cotton (?) material, reflectance will be different from a straight on shot of the exact same subject.

May I ask why you are using ISO 400 if you want to reduce the impact of any ambient light? Seems to me that even with the OM-D and EPL-5, you would get better DR shooting at ISO 200.

I can post the images here if you like. Feel very free to say no.
I hate it when (some) other people play around with my own images, specially when they neither asked for permission to do so, nor were even asked for their opinion in the first place ...

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow