Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Windows 8 freezing up
Apr 25, 2013

I know that a Windows system "freezing" is not exactly headline news, but the symptoms of this problem seems different from those of any other system I have heard about. Basically what happens is this:

First, the system "freezes". Apps go pale, the cursor turns into a rotating circle and it looks as though the system will need to be rebooted. Sometimes I get a notice that Windows itself is not responding (which puzzles me somewhat - if Windows is not responding how does it display the message???).

If I wait for the system to respond, it finally does. After a period varying from about 2 minutes up to 5 or 6 minutes Windows suddenly starts working again as though it never stopped. I never get any indication what the problem was, why the problem occurred or how to prevent it in the future. I have been assuming that somewhere along the line I picked up some malware, but I always use anti-virus software and that software (Norton) can find nothing wrong on my system. I have also scanned my system with Kaspersky and it can find nothing in particular wrong.

In addition there does not seem to be a pattern. That is, there is no single app that I am using that has caused this problem. Sometimes it is LR4, sometimes Open Office, sometimes I am browsing on  the dpReview site. No consistency.

Before I rebuild my system I thought I would post this question to see if anyone has any insight into this particular problem. I have had systems "freeze" on me before but I am not used to having the system respond after 2-6 minutes. Before, when my system "froze", it stayed frozen.

My system is a Dell XPS-15 with Windows 8, up to date with fixes, running a 1 TB drive (in which less than 200 GB is in use), an i7 chip and I am not running any strange software. Most of what I have on the system are photo editing apps and digital photos.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow