First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
r0gue
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Re: What I would do...
In reply to mattr, Apr 25, 2013

mattr wrote:

r0gue wrote:

I will be a hobby photog and wish to shoot interesting landscapes (perhaos some HDR) of my local area.  Local interest stuff.  I want vivid wonderful shots of my children and loved ones too.

Whether your shots are "vivid and wonderful" depends largely on your skills as a photographer and post processor, of course.

As an initial set for the D800 I would get:

18-35G - Excellent landscape/architecture lens.

50/1.8G - Simply a "must have" for Nikon FF. This is the lens sorely missing in the Canon lineup.

Tamron 70-300 VC - Surprisingly good from 70-250, only slightly soft at 300, very effective VC.

OK, this is three lenses but they cover pretty much the whole range and you can add later based on your preferences some faster optics. The lenses from the original set would still be useful for light weight travel for example.

If you just want one lens, I would pick the 24-85 VR.

Re: the 50/1.8G,.. is the 1.4 better than the 1.8?  It seems people generally feel they are.  I understand the depth of field is tighter, but I also get that maybe there are coating difference?

I'm going to pick the primes for now since so many folks are in agreement that they are pretty good glass.  I'm going to hold off on the telephotos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow