First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
r0gue
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Re: First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?
In reply to Antony John, Apr 25, 2013

Antony John wrote:

You've bought yourself a great camera capable of superb results.

I'm sure you want to see the best IQ out of the camera that you can get - which means getting good glass. All glass is not equal, however and some will perform better than others.

Nikon I believe has recommendations for the D800 and Roger of Lensrentals has published his own list here:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/d800-lens-selection

I'd thus put in some good money to get the best IQ - even if it means only one lens at present - as I think you mentioned, you're in it for 'the long term' and glass will always outlast your camera technology if treated well.

So, up to you, decide what focal length is really your favourite and buy a quality lens accordingly.

Probably not what you want to hear (no definitive answer) but only you can decide what you want to shoot.

Otherwise there are some great suggestions above you can mull over - but don't forget to add a competent tripod and head! They're a necessity to get the best from most cameras but even more so with 36 MP 'on tap'.

Good luck and enjoy

-- hide signature --

AJ
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

Agreed on all accounts.  Is Roger saying if the lens (while listed in his list), but NOT linked, is not reccomended?  I.E. the linked lenses are as good?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow