how to travel with camera, tripod and carry on luggage

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
jckk
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
I've never had an issue with a tripod on a plane
In reply to Bluejay, Apr 25, 2013

Bluejay wrote:

So basically can I put the tripod inside my carry-on luggage (ball head and leg stands apart)?  I wonder if it will cause panic on the security checkpoint.  As far as I can gather from the replies, I guess I can go with my Lowepro Fastpack (camera, lenses , laptop) and my carry on with tripod and little  clothes.

My last three trips, I had my luggage lost so I am never traveling with check-in bags.

Of course, it doesn't mean that you won't or that I won't in the future.  I've brought a Slik Sprint Pro (aluminum, 19" or shorter) in my luggage, I think one time a Bogen aluminum tripod on my backpack, and the rest of the times a Gitzo CF in my luggage.  TSA has never asked to take a closer look at the tripod or raised any other issue about them.

On a slightly different note, I've read a suggestion to keep the various cords and cables in a loose bunch rather than having them in a tight coil, such as tightly wound around another object.  The tight pattern is more likely to get a closer look.

When you checked in luggage, did you take off every airline tag that was on the bag before checking it in?

James

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow