That "L" lens "look" - Canon v Sigma 35mm1.4

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
MadManAce
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Re: Add QC to the list
In reply to gatorowl, Apr 25, 2013

Can you be more specific?  I'm yet to see a report of problems with this lens.

Now, I agree that QC is a problem if 20-30% of a product has problem.  Hell, even 10-20% may be too high.

So, what percentage of Sigma 35mm 1.4 lenses do you believe are defective?

I went through 4 Sigma 35mm lenses before I decided to get the 35L.  Each had their own unique focusing issues, I really wanted it to work out but I cannot have a lens that misses focus in artificial lighting or at different distances.  If I was not paid to shoot, I would have kept the Sigma that was almost reliable.  So far, I love the 35L, to me having total confidence in my gear is bliss.   I would rather have a star that performs in the clutch than a superstar that chokes when it really matters.

It is a shame because in ideal light lighting conditions (outdoors at medium distances) the Sigma is spectacular, but this is where I would least use it.

I saw a demo at petapixel showing the Sigma USB software at work and they now have the option of AFMA at different distances.  However, I do not know if it will solve the artificial light problem and one of the Sigmas I bought required different AFMA for corner sensors than center sensor.  From what I can see the software will not solve this issue.

MadManAce's gear list:MadManAce's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow