Nikon D7100 left focus issue

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
fireplace33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,223Gear list
Like?
PDAF has a fault
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 25, 2013

So, after carefully following all the tips in this forum for performig accurate testing and actually doing all these tedious tests ,  I had to make a decision on what to do, because I can’t work with this D7100 Camera and/or lenses as they are. Just unacceptable as it is!
So,…
My conclusion is that this particular D7100 camera does indeed have a problem with its PDAF system. A "left focus point issue"
Anyone else want to agree with that?
The evidence for me comes from my test results. Even after dot tuning each lens, all 3 fast lenses in my results table show a similar problem on the left side, indicative of a “PDAF miscalibration” as described by Pepsican. The 2 slower lenses didn’t show this but perhaps only because the DOF at F4 or F4.8 is wider and the effect is masked.
AND,  I also tried another F2.8 lens today (The Nikkor 105 AF/S 2.8 VR – my sharpest lens!) and I have the same effect with this lens, namely  CDAF (live view) works fine but PDAF (focussing while looking through viewfinder) does not work on the left side. I can no longer consider it just a coincidence that 4 lenses have exactly the same error!
So I  sent this camera back this morning before the “return window” closes.
I’ll get a new D7100 and test again. More time lost

I will also get my 17-50 OS /F2.8 (which is also a brand new lens!) properly tested and alignment checked by the Sigma service centre in Vienna to make sure that this is also really working correctly (At the same time they can also fix that annoying “Zoom/scroll and review” problems, assuming that  Sigma Japan will supply them soon with a workable solution for that problem)

If my Nikkor 50/1.4 should still show a problem with the new camera I’ll get that checked and calibrated as well by the Nikon service center in Vienna (price quoted for that today was 85 Euro since it is 2 years and 1 month old).
When all that is done I can finally get back to enjoying the creative side of photography (with the knowledge the that the technical side is actually working as it should !)

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow