Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,523Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh come along now Mikey ....
In reply to Jostian, Apr 25, 2013

Jostian wrote:

The reason I ask is cos with the D7100 and the Tamron 17 to 50mm SP F2.8, when I use centre focus (5 point) with AF-S I have as many out of focus as in Focus shots, not sure why, but with exactly the same settings and just changing the AF to AF-C I have every shot in focus, photographing the same objects from same angle with same lighting etc. And I have no idea why the difference? hence my question, could be an issue specifically with the Tamron not sure...

Do you have access to any other lenses, preferably a Nikkor?  While some shoot AF-C all the time, I believe they do it because they prefer that approach.  If you do it to avoid an issue, you might avoid a solution as well.  I would try a Nikon lens and try some shots with the same settings.  If the shots are fine, you may have discovered another third party compatibility issue with the D7100.   Either Tamron can devise a solution (Sigma seems uninterested in doing so according to some posts) or you may be stuck with AF-C.  I use AF-S for the majority of my shots since I recompose all the time.  I would consider a new lens if the issue could not be resolved.  But, that is me.  Right now, I see the problems some are having with their Sigma 17-70's and the D7100.  A good reason to settle in and enjoy my D90 a little while longer.   Of course, your test could show that you get a small number of keepers in AF-S regardless of your lens.  I guess that might indicate a user or a camera issue.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AllNew
ManyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow