LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,732Gear list
Like?
Re: How was this lit?
In reply to Lawrence Keeney, Apr 25, 2013

Lawrence Keeney wrote:

Fave Photog wrote:

Lawrence Keeney wrote:

I keep looking at this shot and have convinced myself there is so much post processing on the image it is pretty much impossible to tell the lighting used.

I don't believe the sharp shadows you see are real shadows. I would also bet the background shown is not the original background either.

You're over-thinking things.  It's a simple flash held off-camera with the left hand, slightly above lens height, and most likely with a simple modifier such as a snap-on diffuser.

No one is going to go through the trouble and hassle of creating fake shadows on such a basic image, nor are they going to extract such a basic image and drop it onto such a worthless background.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

I have to disagree with you on this. If this is a true Maxim photo, as the text seems to indicate, I would bet someone spent a lot of time post processing this image before it was ever used in a magazine.

I suspect a little of both - a harsh light plus a whole bunch of PP to smooth out the skin. I think that would be easier than painting in some shadows.

If this was shot with a diffuse light then you'd have to get rid of the diffuse shadows and replace them with hard shadows. In other words, I'm guessing it's more likely they smoothed out harsh lighting than the alternative of making diffuse lighting look harsh.
The same background is used in several of the shots so I think it's the original background.
http://www.maxim.com/slideshow/girls-of-maxim/73266

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow