Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robert98
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
Focus checking with 1Dx screen
Apr 25, 2013

Apologies if this has been asked before, a quick search came up blank.

Given the quality of the 1Dx autofocus (ie stellar), this may seem a silly question, but does anyone else find that the screen of the 1Dx doesn't accurately represent how well a shot has been focused? At my first race weekend (British Superbikes at Brands Hatch) early this month, if I'd gone by 100%-zoom chimping I would have deleted most of the shots before I got home. As it was, 90%+ were sharp when later viewed in Lightroom and the rest could be put down to operator error (who moved that fence whilst I panned? or, why did I not use the right AF case?).

I shoot RAW exclusively, but I've set the JPEG settings as high as possible, in case they have any impact on the preview shown on the camera. I use  a 300 2.8L IS II (calibrated with Reikan) and the combination really does focus incredibly reliably, as you might expect, so it may seem I'm worrying about nothing.

However, the 1Dx has replaced my 5D3 and 1DIV and with both of these the screen gave more useful feedback about out-of-focus shots (which happened more frequently...).

So, anyone else feel the same way, and is there a way to "fix" it?

Cheers, Rob.

Robert98's gear list:Robert98's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Nikon 1 AW1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +9 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow