Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
TOR8472
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566Gear list
Like?
Re: focus sleep?
In reply to Jostian, Apr 25, 2013

My D7000 has a tendency to "focus sleep" where the lens loses contact with the body and stops focusing, yet it will stilll release the shutter (even though in focus priority mode), resulting in an out of focus shot. It isn't always noticeable in AF-A or S, but is very noticeable in AF-C, plus having it in AF-C significantly reduces the tendency to do it. I have mine in AF-C at all times now for this reason, and I very rarely have issues now.

It is annoying, but not so bad that I'm going to send to Nikon to check and have them return it after testing it for 5 minutes and not finding the problem. I've followed the forum for years and know that others have had this problem and gotten the lens release button fixed as a light touch of it would cause this problem, but that does not appear to be my issue, perhaps it is yours.

While the comment about additional battery usage in AF C is certainly true, it is negligible in my opinion. I still get more than a 1000 shots per charge.

Jostian wrote:

blue_cheese wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Was wondering why one would use AF-S, when AF-C focuses continually, addressing slight variations in mvt that AF-S doesn't, so why use AF-S, just leave it on AF-C, I now there are other considerations like speed etc that would affect which AF to use, but speaking purely on focus, surely t here's nothing wrong with just leaving AF on AF-C? or am I missing something(s)?

-- hide signature --

Jostian

AF-S can help you set up a focus trap and avoid hunting in some situation (ie AF-S on the ground/ara where you expect your subject to enter, lock the focus and wait for it). AF-C will cause hunting, and especially with a slower focusing lens may totally miss the shot.

Also AF-S will allow the focus assist illuminator to come on in poor lighting, it may make a big difference over AF-C.

At least that is just about the only time ever I use AF-S.

Thanks for the insight, appreciated, still not sure why I have issues with AF-S as mentioned in my earlier post... frustrating, will try in better light and see if the same happens.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AllNew
ManyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow