Why I HATE the term "capture" for taking a photo...

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 34,624Gear list
Like?
Re: Capture is a fine term. I think you need some perspective
In reply to Najinsky, Apr 25, 2013

Najinsky wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

Najinsky wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

if it was indeed called capture, which is not proved yet.

I'm not trying to prove anything or convince anyone. It simply comes down to how I like to communicate.

The next time you post a photo I like, I may say;

"Excellent work, nice capture"

Why not say, excellent work, nice picture, or photograph. Why is wrongwith the proper term. Why invent a new one?

or

"Well done, you really captured the mood"

That sentence is perfectly acceptable, a mood certainly can be captured.

Once I do that, one of three things will happen. Either;

a) You understand what I have tried to communicate and take the compliment offered,

b) you are confused by the strange words,

c) you are offended by the stylistic 'hipster' use of grammar.

We'll just have to wait and see which it is.

None of those. Just a heartfelt wish that you had used the great descriptive and more meaningful words that we already had.

With the word WE, you attempt to define a population or community.

Yes. The we refers to everyone who spoke English before the term capture started to be misused for taking a picture. Fact. And if you are over twenty I'm afraid that includes you.

With the words ALREADY HAD, you attempt to define a pre-existing vocabulary.

Chang of meaning, and you know that.

So in return, I offer you a community, a familiar population, using a certain pre-existing vocabulary:

Carry on...

"Nikon has posted a firmware update for its Coolpix P7700 compact camera. Firmware 1.1 increases the accuracy of the P7700's virtual horizon, decreases delay between captures in auto exposure bracketing mode and addresses an issue that prevented shutter speeds slower than one second for the second and subsequent shots when shooting with Auto bracketing set to Exposure bracketing. The update is available for immediate download from Nikon's website."

Big deal, Nikon are sheep too. great cameras, but that doesn't mean their PR have brains.

From a little known but non-the-less active photography community known as dpreview.

And no doubt that paragraph was formed in part from the dictionary definition:

Capture

4. To succeed in preserving in lasting form: capture a likeness in a painting.

See how the dictionary agrees with me? See how it conveys the notion of success in preserving in lasting form.

That's because that's what the word means.

In other words, I did use "the great descriptive and more meaningful words that we already had".

You just can't bring yourself to see it because this is an internet forum, the one place on the planet where you have the right to claim whatever you like under some bizarre guise that it permits a  freedom of opinion where reality doesn't matter.

-Najinsky

You are now quoting me lots of instances where groups, companies and people are using the word. Sorry but lots of people get shot by guns ever day.....does that make it right? No. Nor is the use of capture. QED

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow