Regular MemberPosts: 225
Like?
Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.4 + NEX 7
In reply to verybiglebowski, Apr 25, 2013

spiderhunter wrote:

verybiglebowski wrote:

spiderhunter wrote:

BasiliskPhoto wrote:

Don't apologise - this little gem deserves its own thread!

My copy is super sharp (at least in the middle) and a joy to use with peaking as stuff snaps into focus. A wider aperture would be nice, but 2.4 is good enough for most uses. And, as you say, it is a great little closeup lens, if not quite macro. If you want a flexible general purpose leave-on-the-camera lens, this is as good as many.

Not sure whether I would pay £170 - which seems to be the current price, mainly because the East German technology might not be quite as reliable as some, but my aperture ring seems pretty good, though some report stickyness.

Probably my favourite current lens on a crop sensor, even including my FD50 f1.4 which I find too restrictive a focal length for general use.

If you or anyone reading this has both the Jena flektogon 35mm 2.4 and Sony 35mm 1.8, my question is :

How do you rate the  Jena flektogon 35mm 2.4 against the new Sony 35mm 1.8 in terms of IQ, color and contrast? Does the Sony exhibit a kind of plasticy artificial look?  We are not going to discuss OSS and AF, just images the lenses produce.  Much thanks.

-- hide signature --

A good picture is worth one word - IMPACT.

That is very subjective conclusion that you are asking for. So I can only offer my thoughts...

Sony SEL 3518 is very good lens in terms of optical corrections. It doesn't show pronounced field curvature, or spherical abberation. Flek is weaker in that regard. The main advantage of the Flek is close MFD, that allow for some interesting compositions. (and price of course)

Contrast and color wise, they are both "modern" lenses with a good performance.

I didn't properly test Flek for the bokeh. Sony SEL 3518 has pleasant, but somehow neutral rendering of the oof areas.

All in all, Sony is a typycal modern consumer lens, that performs well in all departments but doesn't excell anywhere, and while it offers lot for the money in terms of features, it lack any specifics in a rendering.

It is a good tool to reproduce the reality but there are better tools when you want to re-create the reality.

I am not sure that Flek in that regard is significantelly different, though.

Please correct me if I am wrong. This old Jena is selling at the same price as the Sony?

No, CZJ Flektogon 35mm f2.4 cost where I live between 100-200 USD. There is one offer now for some 180 USD, and I paid for mine 120.

Yes, since I have both nex and canon bodies, it can be used on both.
--
A good picture is worth one word - IMPACT.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow