Going back to DSLR from Nikon 1 V1 (Advice Needed!)

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BandofBrothers
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
Going back to DSLR from Nikon 1 V1 (Advice Needed!)
Apr 25, 2013

Hey guys,
I apolagise for my switcheritis with cameras, and my fairly long post in advance:blush::blush::blush:
Long story short - around 5-6 months ago, I sold my Nikon D3100 DSLR and grabbed a (bargain) Nikon 1 V1, for which I now have the 30-110mm and 18.5mm lenses.

I shoot mainly landscapes, flowers and animals, and my dogs with the occasional air show thrown in. But 99% of my subjects are buildings and landscapes (National Trust / English Heritage sites) in good daylight - so I can usually get away with low ISO's. However, there are times when I take indoor photos of national trust buildings etc, and of course you have to use no flash and higher ISO's.

Now, whilst there's nothing particularly "wrong" with the Nikon 1, I am thinking of going back to DSLR, personally for the following reasons:

- Shallow DOF and pleasing bokeh (particularly pleasing with flowers and close ups)
- I find a proper DSLR easier to hold and shoot for extended periods, even with the increased weight
- Bigger selection of lenses
- The usual "better IQ" and less noise argument
- Personally I would just like to have 2 lenses in my "walkabout bag" - a general purpose lense and a telephoto (at the moment, I have 3 for the V1, as I need the 18.5mm for low light situations)

I am looking at the Nikon D7000 - Nikon have £100 cashback at the moment, so I can get this camera and 18-105mm VR Lens kit for around £689 delivered. Obviously, I could sell my existing gear to help pay for this too.

Does anyone have any input into my "dilema" (:rotfl:) - I just miss some of the controls of the DSLR too (the wheels and manual controls that are physically on the camera itself, rather than buried in the menus on the V1 system).

Whatever I decide, I would keep the resulting camera for many years, and just add decent glass as funds allow.

I realise the D7000 has been out for some time now, and the D5200 is quite a lot cheaper, but I would like a camera that will last me many years as I improve..
Many thanks for any input:smashin:

BandofBrothers's gear list:BandofBrothers's gear list
Nikon 1 V1
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3100 Nikon D5200 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow