Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
esco
Senior MemberPosts: 1,780
Like?
Re: Canikon
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Apr 25, 2013

Doctor Lecter wrote:

"Canikon always seems to be on the cutting edge..."

Really? They developed IBIS? And they were the first with self-cleaning sensors? Oh, and they were the first with articulating LCDs? I must be mistaken then...

I do agree that if they sell a whole lot more, they will get more complaints, etc. But there's the counter-argument that if they sell a lot more, they should know exactly what they are doing.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

Um Minolta offered ibis a few years before olympus. . .it was offered in the maxxum 5d/7d
Considering canikon's af systems are constantly evolving and is a component that is amongst some of the most complex to develop along with new sensors that are constantly being brought out then yes I would say they have always been in cutting edge tech when it comes to dslr's- more so than Olympus by a large gap. I should of probably mentioned Sony as well.
sswf is nice i'll give them that, articulating lcd's we've seen for years in compacts from many makes so it's addition to dslr's was inevitable - it doesn't take a genious to figure that one out but I applaud olympus for releasing it on a dslr finally. There are pros and cons to articulating screens in a dslr, it increases size and reduces durability which is why you just don't see it in the best pro bodies out there.
When it comes to the fundamentals, the things that are absolutely crucial to capturing a photo and are expected to be in constant evolution like af and sensors. . .Olympus has never been cutting edge, not even close. The lenses have always been awesome, the bodies have always lagged - this is no secret. I'm not saying they aren't great photography tools or that you can't capture a great photo with them. . .i'm just telling it how it is when it comes to tech.
When it comes to defects, even leica makes mistakes. Humans make mistakes, you can't rule out that equation but considering you can exchange a canikon body or lens at your local shop. . .that's not a bad spot to be in is it?

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow