Office printer: laser or inkjet AIO, help please – what options?

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,300
Like?
Just set it up
In reply to Hugowolf, Apr 25, 2013

Well the HP Office Pro X 476dn arrived today.

Problems so far:

• Took about 2 hours unbox and to set up. Blue tape everywhere, but that was expected. Followed the setup instructions, entered the language setting, then it stalled at the region setting. The instructions only mentioned the language setting, then said to install the software, so I went ahead and downloaded the current setup and driver software. It installed (Win 7 64) but couldn’t find the printer, connected via Ethernet (printer to router, and router to computer). I tried installing using the CD on another computer (Win Vista 32), but the same thing happened. Tried to turn the printer off, it wouldn’t. Unplugged the printer. Plugged it back in, and it started calibrating immediately. Both computers then found the printer and it set up ok.
  • No paper user manual. It isn’t a phone, it is a printer. It should have a printed manual.
  • Calibration took 30 minutes, but it did allow printing during calibration.
  • Copier will not copy blues, I hope the scanning function does.
  • Noisier than the laser (HP 2300d)
  • No borderless printing. The printhead is not 8.5 inches, it is only 8 inches. Max print size is 203.2 x 347 mm (8 x 13.7 in). The first document I tried copying, had text almost to the edge.
  • HP software is as murky as usual.

Good points:

• Amazingly fast. Much faster than the current laser which is rated 25 ppm.
  • Duplexing is very fast too, perhaps about 2.2x slower than single sided
  • Two-sided to two-sided copying.
  • Almost no gloss differential, but heavy bronzing. (I have only tried plain paper and HP Advanced Glossy so far)
  • 500 sheet tray. (The laser had a 250 sheet tray, which wouldn’t take 251 sheets, so you ended up putting only a third of a ream in at a time.)
  • Touch screen controls.

I haven’t had time to look at print quality or color management. And I have yet to hook up the fax.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow