OMD severe flash exposure problem

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,921Gear list
Like?
Re: No bug, just is the way it works.....
In reply to Guy Parsons, Apr 25, 2013

Guy Parsons wrote:

Next post some samples in a minute or two......

Went away and tried E-300 + FL-50 in a dim room and immediately nice result with a "proper" histogram.

Then next stuck the FL-50 on the E-PL5 and got this below for the same scene in a dim junk room, these are FastStone Viewer thumbnails from a Ricoh camera that photographed the LCD of my E-PL5 in playback to show the various playback histograms.

First shot at 0 flash compensation, right shot at plus 1.3 flash comp, bottom shot at plus 1.7 flash comp.

No matter what I do, fill flash or auto flash, with any metering mode, with any Pen with any Oly  flash in TTL I get a histogram like in the first shot being close to 2 stops under. The same happens in other rooms and distances and whether direct flash or bounce flash as long as there's not enough ambient light to have any effect but enough light to allow AF to function.

So getting back to the OP long ago, it is the way that M4/3 TTL flash for Pens and OM-D behaves for Olympus and we need to learn to cope with it. I am confirming his initial post.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow