OMD severe flash exposure problem

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,792Gear list
Like?
Re: No bug, just is the way it works.....
In reply to Guy Parsons, Apr 25, 2013

Gidday Guy

Guy Parsons wrote:

n8gray wrote:

You should send a bug report to olympus with this info!

Every Oly camera with TTL flash does this same thing. It's no bug, just the way it is designed and we have to learn to use it properly.

This is simply incorrect. I have never had this sort of exposure problem with either the on-board flash with my E-510 and E-30, or with the FL-36R on either them or my E-1. Simply doesn't happen.

From about 0.5m to 10m and beyond, the flash works exactly as advertised in TTL AUTO FOUR THIRDS ZOOM mode ("TTL AUTO") on all my cameras. If it's wrong, it's because I have got something wrong. I have never dialled in an exposure compensation using flash in my life ...

I can replicate the effect, but only by not using the correct metering mode, or otherwise mucking up my camera settings.

My examples tried to show......

♦ The same flash results occurred whatever metering mode was used.

♦ The TTL needs plus 1.3 to plus 1.7 flash compensation to get a proper exposure.

♦ If some nearer or more reflective object is in the frame then the flash output changes to suit what it gets from measuring the  reflection during the test TTL shots prior to exposure. Tests and adjusts are always needed with flash.

My theory is that the deliberate Oly underexposure is due to its probable most likely use as fill-in flash and this under-exposure helps prevent the too flashed look.

In fact if I use the proper exposure as seen via a histogram in dim conditions where the ambient contributes nothing of worth then the result looks too flashed and un-natural despite there being no burnt highlights, so for me backing off to plus 1.3 flash compensation delivers a nicer result. That's with direct or bounce flash and any Pen body or any Olympus flash that I've tried.

Regards....... Guy

Ambient light has little, if any effect. The only time I take it into account is when using fill flash, and even here the TTL AUTO mode works well much of the time.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow