First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,804Gear list
Like?
Re: Perturbed by the Rudeness and Hostility on these Forums
In reply to r0gue, Apr 25, 2013

r0gue wrote:

Thanks so much to all of you!  So, I believe that I will likely start with two primes:

NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G Pretty much everyone recommended this one.
NIKKOR 85mm F/1.8G or maybe the 1.4
.... I can buy these at any time because they are not on sale.

But there is a sale on the three telephoto lenses if I buy them with the D800 by Saturday. Here are my choices. Any of these worth having and worth taking advantage of this promotion? If so, Of these, Which would you pick?  -- or would you pass on these and stick with whats recommended above?

70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF VR IF-ED    
$200.00 Off    
Final Price:$386.95

28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom Lens
   $150.00
 Off  Final Price:$896.95

24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S ED VR Lens  

$100.00
 Off  Final Price:$496.95

Also Speedlights are on sale, but not deeply discounted.
SB-910 AF Speedlight $50 Off
,    SB-700 AF Speedlight $30 Off

Of those three zoom lenses, I'd avoid the 28-300. That's my bias, but I think you get a good SLR so you can match the right lens to the job. The 28-300 is a jack of all trades lens but doesn't do any of them that well. That 10x zoom ratio requires so many various design compromises, I just don't think it's up to a quality job. Your D800 easily out resolves it by quite a bit.

I think the other two are good solid consumer level zoom and will do quite nicely. The most important starting out would be the mid-zoom 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 VR.

Either of those speedlights will do nicely. The SB910 is slightly more sophisticated and maybe a little more powerful, but the SB700 is just fine and will do the job unless you're a professional event or wedding photographer.

I think you might find the cheaper 50 f/1.8G is a slightly better lens than the more expensive 50 f/1.4G. It's both faster operating and a bit sharper, but think it over. Many of us just don't use that middle ground very much. They are very popular more because they are so inexpensive rather than so useful. Remember, this is opinion. There are some who like that middle ground. I would get the 24-85 first then see where you take the most images. Is it at the wide end, middle or telephoto end? That's part of what I mean by mastering one lens to tell you what the best choice is next.

Even though I said to get just one lens, that 70-300 VR price is just a bit too on sale to pass up. I'd snap it up. It's a great all purpose consumer telephoto.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow