NEX 6 or NEX 7-Which should I buy?

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,786Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX 6 or NEX 7-Which should I buy?
In reply to bill hansen, Apr 25, 2013

bill hansen wrote:

The biggest advantage the 6 has over the 7, IMO, is that its RAW images are very useable at ISO 1600, and useable (though not actually great) with careful noise reduction at 3200. The 7's RAW images are good at ISO 800 with some NR, but troublesome beyond that. Granted that we all try to shoot at ISO 100 or 200, but that's not always possible.

I have an F3 and a 7 and I find they're pretty much as good as each other at high ISO. At ISO 1600, the NEX-7 is probably slightly better.

Here's a DPR test image at ISO3200 I processed a while back. Even at this ISO, there's not much noise and an awful lot of detail remaining after NR has been applied in both. This is a tiny crop of a huge image, and both look pretty decent to me.

My experience is only with Lightroom from RAW. Things may be different with JPG or other RAW processors. Also note that Adobe's noise reduction has improved vastly since the NEX-7 was tested by DPR. The NEX-7's chroma noise has somehow been tamed since then.

To the OP, I am not sure which I would recommend. Owning D800E would seem to bias the decision towards the NEX-7, since the raison d'etre of the D800E is highly detailed images. With a good lens at low ISO the NEX-7 should be able to get fairly close to the detail you'll get from the D800E.

To give you a rough idea, here's the D800 vs the NEX-7 (resized up to 36M pixels) at base ISO.

On the other hand, the NEX-7 has issues with some lenses, and 16M pixels is IMHO already a ton of resolution, and good enough for most stuff, and you have the D800E for those cases where you need more resolution. On the third hand, the three-dial user interface on the NEX-7 is magic (perhaps the UI on the NEX-6 is good too, I can't comment as I don't own one).

According to the rumor mill (which is more often than not correct), a NEX-7n is due to be announced quite soon. This should fix up a lot of the bugs and niggles of the NEX-7 and add in the new features found on the NEX-6. You may wish to wait for that. 1/2 a stop better sensor and higher resolution EVF are rumored.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow