D7100 or K-5IIs

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
GordonBGood
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,274
Like?
Re: Comparison only valid for default JPEG's...
In reply to bettyswolloks, Apr 25, 2013

bettyswolloks wrote:

GordonBGood wrote:

The below DPR comparison is valid only for default settings for Out Of the Camera (OOC) JPEG's as to Noise Reduction (NR) and sharpening at high ISO sensitivities, not for JPEG's with other in-camera settings nor especially for JPEG's converted from raw data files:  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51297982

bettyswolloks wrote:

So the straight out of camera results are of no importance?

Straight out of the camera results may be important, but wouldn't you agree that generally you wouldn't use the default settings just as the camera is shipped if one wasn't happy with those results?

In order to match the Pentax K-5 IIs resolution at ISO 6400, the Nikon D7100 needs to have its JPEG Noise Reduction (NR) turned down and perhaps the sharpness turned up a little.

OTOH, in order to match the more natural colours of the Nikon, most Pentax users find that they need to either use the Natural colour mode rather than the Bright one or turn down Saturation and perhaps tweak the Sharpness settings a little for less halos at 100% view such as these.

My point is that every camera may need some adjustments to the default JPEG settings in order to produce comparable JPEG images and that those adjustments are not done for DPR's JPEG comparisons as the default camera settings are used, meaning that the JPEG comparisons are relatively useless and only the raw comparisons where attempts are made to use the same conversion settings are really valid as to judging sensor image quality.

I am a Pentax user and fan, but I believe it is wrong to call the Nikon D7100 a bad camera based on image quality from this JPEG comparison using default settings.

GordonBGood

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow