Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?
Re: Will you buy if Nikon went crazy high ISO & not MP?
In reply to jfriend00, Apr 24, 2013

Mjfriend00 wrote:

whoosh1 wrote:

So let's assume the D400 comes with say 12 MP but say up to 51200 ISO and very fast FPS (may be more likely 25600) - would there be more demand for it than for another D7100 like camera? I don't think Nikon will go that direction - but just think of the possibilities for wildlife or sports (both areas users may want pro DX camera) - you could get away with a reduced need for a fast telephoto like a 200-400 VR and make do with an 80-400 AF-S. Of course the other part of the pro DX market - the "crop away to glory" market will be not satisfied.

Are you working under some assumption that a 12MP sensor would have less noise than a 24MP sensor when the output of the two is viewed at the same size?  That doesn't seem to be true these days with Nikon's full coverage microlenses and other pixel tech.

A 12MP sensor would obviously have the ability to process more fps (but the mirror would have to be able to keep up - if there is a mirror).

I'd be extremely surprised if Nikon ever made another dSLR that was 12MP.  They seem to be showing that everything is at least 16MP and, except for the D4, everything else is at least 24MP.

FYI, aperture on a lens isn't only for keeping the ISO down.  In my soccer shooting, I always shoot my 200-400 wide open at f/4 to help with subject isolation vs. the background.

-- hide signature --

Maybe a D400 needs to be Pro body with either fast phase on sensor (with mirror up) with live view, or contrast detect with EVF to be extremely fast fps like some mirrorless (such as fast Sony NEX 16mp cameras at 10fps) and be totally compatiable with current lens lines. Eventually the Nikon DSLR line will go mirrorless according to Thom Hogan predictions a few months ago just maybe not this year.

MP will likely be 16 Mp to 24MP (maybe 20Mp to compete with Canon's 18MP as compromise and faster speed than 24MP).

Most people will likely think it will end up 24MP like all the current line up with crop FPS mode like D7100 (including Thom in his predictions from new year). Would that be enough to buy D400 over the D7100 with more rugged pro body? How many can Nikon expect to sell, could be deciding factor to make one.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow