A great deal on an excellent location monolight...

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,680Gear list
Like?
Re: A great deal on an excellent location monolight...
In reply to Luke Kaven, Apr 24, 2013

Luke Kaven wrote:

Hmm.  At a rated 180 W/s, I would be hoping that it has at least the output of the FP320M monolight, rated at 150 W/s.  If the rating is correct, that would put it beyond the SB800 by quite a bit. I get a /lot/ of light from the FP320, and have almost never had to use it at full power for a portrait session.

I almost never use the SB800 on full power either.  Having said that, it requires a lot more power (and therefore slower recycle time) behind modifiers.  You really notice it when going from a 400W/s rated light monolight.

What F-stop do you shoot at with the FP320M?  What modifiers?  With studio monolights and softboxes, I'm usually shooting around F8.

The FP320 is /built/, leaving me wondering exactly what the niche is for this new item.  I guess it includes the battery, which you need to buy separately for the FP320M.  So maybe it is essentially a budget item.

For the added cost you are getting a case, batteries, chargers, and umbrella...plus a considerably smaller and lighter package.  If the recycle time for the FP320 is accurate, it recycles in half the time on it's battery pack though.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow