A great deal on an excellent location monolight...

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,288
Like?
Re: A great deal on an excellent location monolight...
In reply to Luke Kaven, Apr 24, 2013

Luke Kaven wrote:

Hmm.  At a rated 180 W/s, I would be hoping that it has at least the output of the FP320M monolight, rated at 150 W/s.  If the rating is correct, that would put it beyond the SB800 by quite a bit. I get a /lot/ of light from the FP320, and have almost never had to use it at full power for a portrait session.

I almost never use the SB800 on full power either.  Having said that, it requires a lot more power (and therefore slower recycle time) behind modifiers.  You really notice it when going from a 400W/s rated light monolight.

What F-stop do you shoot at with the FP320M?  What modifiers?  With studio monolights and softboxes, I'm usually shooting around F8.

The FP320 is /built/, leaving me wondering exactly what the niche is for this new item.  I guess it includes the battery, which you need to buy separately for the FP320M.  So maybe it is essentially a budget item.

For the added cost you are getting a case, batteries, chargers, and umbrella...plus a considerably smaller and lighter package.  If the recycle time for the FP320 is accurate, it recycles in half the time on it's battery pack though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow