First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,730Gear list
Like?
Re: Read lens review sites
In reply to RichyjV, Apr 24, 2013

Learning which lenses are good and which aren't so good is difficult as there are so many more choices than simply Nikon or Canon full frame?

photozone.de is one of the best. Also Lens Rentals is a good source of info.

I have D800E and some mirrorless cameras.

24-70mm F2.8 is probably my most used lens. Its more than the sharpness etc, its the coatings, the lovely colours, the way it renders the scene. Its hard to best its flexibility.

I use my 14-24mm F2.8 a lot but thats for nightscapes and is a specific use. I tend not to use it otherwise. If were doing a wide landscape shot I do panoramas anyway so 14mm isn't totally needed for me.

85mm F1.8g is a good lens although it suffers from slighly excessive chromatic aberration, but yes its a handy lens for portraits and F1.8 is good indoors in low light.

So 24-70 and 85mm F1.8 is safe ground.

70-200mm F4 is getting great reviews and so is the Sigma 35mm F1.4. I am about to get both of those to round out my collection. Again, I think these are safe buys for almost anyone's use.

The 50mm F1.8g is good for video but I find its rendering a bit harsh looking to be used much.

There are also some good cheap old Nikon lenses.

105mm F2.5 AIS

28mm F2.8 AIS are two that stand out. I also use a cheap 55mm F2.8 Micro which is great for close up portraits like for babies.

But 90% of the time the 24-70 is the main lens I use and I like it a lot.It also oozes quality and whilst a bit heavy I just love the build. It adds to the experience and feels total quality.

Greg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow