Do you guys use VR on or off mostly?

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,874Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you guys use VR on or off mostly?
In reply to alegator, Apr 24, 2013

I think it depends a lot on the lens.

I do always try to turn it off on a tripod.   If nothing else, I don't want the framing jumping around like I see with VR on (with a tripod and 80-400 AF-D).

My 70-200 seems to have very excellent VR, and I think it's fine to leave it on all the time.  I don't shoot it from a tripod though.

My 105vr also seems to have excellent VR, so I leave it on pretty much all the time except macro.

My old 80-400vr had somewhat poor VR, but helps a lot to stabilize the viewfinder and thus may help autofocus.

My new 80-400vr (AF-S) has much better VR, but I don't think it's quite good enough at 400mm.   Certainly I can get better shots handheld with it than without it, but none of them have seemed the equal of the same shutter speed on a tripod without VR and with mirror up and remote release.   I definitely turn off VR on the tripod, and I'm more and more leaning to shooting with high shutter speeds and high ISO (D800e) than trusting to VR to give me critically sharp results at 400mm.

Other lenses I had - 18-200vr.  VR worked pretty well there, but I don't think that lens really has 'critical sharpness' to judge a difference with and without VR.   I turned it on and ignored it, including a few times it was used on a tripod.  Same with occasional use of borrowed 18-55 and 55-200vr.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow