Lack of VR in Nikon 300mm f4 - big deal or not?

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Island Golfer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,737
Like?
Re: Lack of VR in Nikon 300mm f4 - big deal or not?
In reply to evan47, Apr 24, 2013

I would have to say that there is a bit of truth in all of these statements. The 300mm lens is difficult to use. It does require practice. VR is not useful if all you are doing is shooting at very fast shutter speeds. But, it is handy to have at your disposal. Adding a teleconverter does degrade the end result somewhat. Most of these things become readily apparent when you start using longer lenses. I have owned three versions of the Nikon 300mm lens. Two were the F/2.8 variety. My latest one is the F/4 afs version. I have used both the Nikon teleconverter and the Kenko teleconverter. This time, I chose to go without it. The main reason I have not bothered with the teleconverter this time is because of the camera I now have. With my D800, resolution is good enough to crop a distant image to a percentage that brings the target close enough that I don't feel the necessity of using a teleconverter anymore.  And, while I recognize that a lot of photographers do have the ability and steadiness to get good images when hand holding the camera and lens combination, at 69 years old, I do not. Instead, I have had to rely on a medium duty tripod, a heavy ball head, the Kirk collar, a cable release and shutter speeds above 1/1000 sec. I take a lot of images; and I throw a lot of them out. But, I like the lens and the results just fine. You just need to try the lens for yourself to see what you can do with it; and how you need to use it to achieve the results that best satisfy you. As you can no doubt glean from all of these posts, you may love it. You may hate it. You may be just "satisfied" with it. Or, you may like a different lens better that the Nikon 300mm f/4. But, let's face it, it's that way with any lens.

-- hide signature --

truview

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow