Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
Re: Will you buy if Nikon went crazy high ISO & not MP?
In reply to jfriend00, Apr 24, 2013

jfriend00 wrote:

Each advance in high ISO performance has given the photographer more options and made it possible to use f/5.6 (or even f/8 lenses with a TC) in more situations than they could before.

I am also one of those who needs high ISO, but I would note that high ISO isn't the only advantage the latest sensors have over the old ones. The improvment in dynamic range means that even at high ISOs the newer cameras outcompete the older ones at their low ones, which is big news because the colour and contrast used to worsen with high ISO even in film days. Even though the D7000/D7100 sensors might only be 1 generation later than the D300/D90, the tonal appearance of the D300 generation is closer to the preceeding generations than the later one.

But I can't help but find it simply odd that Nikon wouldn't take the opportunity to slap a few run-of-the-mill improvments on the D7000/D7100 core to earn themselves a much bigger profit margin.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow