Lack of VR in Nikon 300mm f4 - big deal or not?

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
evan47
Contributing MemberPosts: 694Gear list
Like?
Re: Lack of VR in Nikon 300mm f4 - big deal or not?
In reply to turbsy, Apr 24, 2013

turbsy wrote:

nikhilpednekar wrote:

I have the 300mm f4 and a 1.4 TC. Use it for birding.

I get reasonable sharp pix if the subject is really close, say less than 20ft. However, as the distance increases, the sharpness falls off dramatically.

The 1.4 TC also takes a huge toll.

Bottomline, the lens is not very easy to use. As sad as I am to state this, great pix will not be predictably achievable when shooting handheld, even if you force the shutter speed to be faster than 1/500th. Using a monopod or tripod is not convenient, and in anycase shouldn't cloud assessment of whether the lack of VR makes a difference.

Since your stated interest is birding, I'd think you should rent the lens first before spending on it.

To see the effect of image stabilization, try the canon with the IS switched on and off. The difference should be alarming.

This has not been my experience at all.  after a certain shutter speed VR is of very little use.

having a great camera/lens combo is one thing, having the skill to use it is another thing. technique, settings and good shooting conditions will get you great pictures.

the 300 f4 is a great lens you just need to learn how to use it.

vr is just a gimmick, ok it can be handy but far from essential.

evan47's gear list:evan47's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow